Moon Tree

Friday, September 9, 2011

It's a Bittersweet Symphony (sorry for the length!!)

I know, I know, I know ANOTHER post today. I'm sorry! I just feel like I need to spread the good news...well, bittersweet news anyways. Here's the update on my visit to the doctor.

First, I will NEVER go to him again. He's rude. However, he DID tell me some important information. In last week's blog I mentioned that I was going to the doctor to see what was up with the lateness and the negative pregnancy tests. I'm still not pregnant but this time instead of telling me, "Keep trying" like all the others he said, "I think I know what's wrong. Let me double check." which was nice. And sure enough, I have something called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). This means that I have a lot of cysts on my ovaries which are doing some pretty gnarly things to my body.The most important things though are that it's why I haven't been able to lose weight since I got married (I've gained 46 lbs with no success in losing even 1 of them!!) and that it makes it a billion times harder for me to get pregnant.

Hard Pregnancy:
Apparently, I don't ovulate like the average woman. Sometimes when I'm on my period I still won't ovulate and other times I will miss my period altogether (like I did in August). Since getting pregnant takes everything being perfect and just at the right time anyways, this just screws with the system. Dr. Park prescribed me some medication that I take on days 5-9 and they will supposedly help me ovulate that month.
He explained this VERY poorly and basically told me, "Yeah, good luck getting pregnant" (read that statement with as much sarcasm as you can muster). I was devastated, to put it lightly. I went back to school and told Zach then went home for the day. On my way home I decided to call my sister, Tawna. I explained everything that happened and she told me not to listen to my doctor and that I could get pregnant then explained more about PCOS than my actual doctor did. She even told me stories about some of her friends getting pregnant with PCOS. I love her so much for that. She calmed me down a lot. So, I'm headed to the pharmacy to pick up the pills soon and see what happens with that.
Even if they don't work, I'm doing a lot better with it now and I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for me and it will happen. Just because it's not in my time doesn't mean He doesn't hear me. I'm trying to keep trusting Him during all of this.

Weight Gain:
Dr. Park told me that I can't lose weight like the average person so I have to force myself to lose weight. This came as a HUGE shock to me because before I got married I was dropping weight like it was a hot potato. I didn't have to diet or anything...I just didn't gain. And all he said on this topic was "You have to force yourself". That's it. Not another word was said. I have never had a doctor who didn't explain that before. He's lucky I didn't think he meant, "Go Anorexic". Anyway, that night I went to my parents' house because my brother was surprising his wife by coming home from AIT (military school). We spent the whole weekend there which was great but still didn't solve my weight problem. Now, I'd tried everything. I'd exercised, I'd dieted and nothing worked. That is, until my mom told me about her diet. I knew about it because she did it while I was growing up but I never wanted to do it. This thing works like a charm!
What is it? It's called Amylose Free. So, here it is:
 Part 1: if it has wheat in it you can't eat it.
Go gluten free. 
You can have oats and barley, so all you oatmeal lovers keep on eating. Here's some info about that (click here!)
Part 2: 
if something has sugar in the first 3 ingredients don't eat it!
and Part 3:
No bleached food so that means only brown rice.
Finally Part 4:
Follow the Glycemic Index
This part isn't as hard as it sounds. It's pretty much "No Duh" stuff. Here's where you'll find a great site with all the information on that (click here!)
OH! I almost forgot. You can occasionally have a baked potato but mashed are OUT OF THE QUESTION!! Boiled potatoes bring out that Amylose starch that you don't want. 
The first 28 days are the hardest, or so my mom says. But after that you will have no problem sticking to it. 
At first, I thought it was going to be really expensive but it's not. There are some things that are a bit more expensive than regular food but it's so worth it. Just buy fresh things and you'll be ok. 
So, does it work? I started it on Monday and last night (Thursday) at 11:45PM I checked my weight and I had lost 4 lbs. I'd say it works. 
I'm taking Zumba twice a week which, I know, helped with the weight loss. Exercise will increase your results a lot. Even just going for a 30 minute walk every day. 


There's my bittersweet news. Hopefully, some of you can use this diet. When it gets hard just stick to your guns just remember that I'm doing it too so you're not alone! No sugar is the worst part. I never ate candy before and I'm craving it so bad. Stick to it! It works! Good Luck!

"Army Wife: It's not just my status, it's my life long promise to him."

5 comments:

  1. Malena, your post made me cry. I am so sorry you have to go through this yucky stuff. Just remain strong and stay close to our Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena! I love you! You are such a great example to me. That diet sounds intense. Thanks for the details. And I want you to know that through all of this, I want to do whatever I can for you, please tell me if you need anything, even if you just want to talk. loves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck. I knew your doc was full of crap. What are the pills?

    ReplyDelete